Recognized for Quality, Safety, Sustainability and Leadership
- Virginia Mason receives the 2019 Guardian of Excellence Award for Patient Experience from Press Ganey Associates.
Virginia Mason has been named a 2019 Guardian of Excellence Award winner by Press Ganey Associates, an Indiana-based company that develops, distributes and evaluates patient satisfaction surveys for health care clients across the United States.
- Virginia Mason earns an ‘A’ in the fall 2019 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade and is one of only 36 hospitals in the nation to have received the highest grade possible in every grading cycle since the Leapfrog program began in 2012.
“Safety is the foundation for quality,” said Virginia Mason Chairman and CEO Gary S. Kaplan, MD. “This recognition by Leapfrog affirms that our team is focused on the right work and making a significant difference in the lives of our patients.”
- Virginia Mason receives the Most Wired award for the eighth straight year for using information technology to support and improve the delivery of care.
CHIME also designated the medical center as “certified level 7,” which reflects overall performance in deploying information technology (IT) and strategies to analyze data and achieve meaningful clinical and efficiency outcomes.
Virginia Mason was designated as a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality in the 2019 Healthcare Equality Index.
In its 12th year, the Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) is the national LGBTQ benchmarking tool that evaluates healthcare facilities' policies and practices related to the equity and inclusion of their LGBTQ patients, visitors and employees. The HEI 2019 evaluates more than 1,600 healthcare facilities nationwide.
Modern Healthcare names Virginia Mason Chairman and CEO, Gary S. Kaplan, MD, one of most influential health care leaders in U.S. for 14th time.
The list honors physicians working in the health care industry who are deemed by their peers and an expert panel to be the most influential in terms of demonstrating leadership and impact. Dr. Kaplan is No. 17 on the list.
2019 Leaders in Health Care: Washington Health Alliance Community Checkup Award — The Community Checkup uses the Washington State Common Measure Set for Health Care Quality and Cost, a tool established by state legislation to enable the tracking of such elements as access to primary care, acute care, disease prevention and chronic care. Data are analyzed and reported by the alliance, based on support from more than 185 member organizations, which not only provide the data for much of the alliance’s work but also participate in determining what the alliance studies and how it is communicated.
“Achieving excellence in health care improvement requires continued hard work and commitment,” says alliance Executive Director Nancy Giunto. “The Washington Health Alliance is grateful to those members and stakeholders who have been diligently working alongside us for the past 12 years to achieve high-value, evidence-based health care and better health outcomes in our state.”
- Virginia Mason is ranked No. 44 among 226 hospitals in the United States included on the 2019 list of the World’s Best Hospitals compiled by Newsweek.com
- At the 11th annual Seattle Business magazine Leaders in Health Care Awards, three Virginia Mason executives were honored: Gary S. Kaplan, MD, Chairman and CEO, Virginia Mason, received the Lifetime Achievement Award; Brian Knowles, Executive Director, Bailey-Boushay House, received Outstanding Medical Center or Hospital Executive, Puget Sound; and Russ Myers, CEO, Virginia Mason Memorial, received Outstanding Medical Center or Hospital Executive, Outside Puget Sound.
- Virginia Mason received the 2019 America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award from Healthgrades, making this the third straight year the medical center has earned this prestigious recognition for clinical excellence.
For the seventh consecutive year Healthgrades presented Virginia Mason with the Outstanding Patient Experience Award. This distinction places the medical center among the top 15 percent of hospitals nationwide for patient experience, according to Healthgrades, the leading online resource for information about physicians and hospitals. Virginia Mason is also the only hospital in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon and Idaho) to receive both the America's 50 Best Hospitals Award and the Outstanding Patient Experience Award from Healthgrades for three years in a row (2017-2019).
Virginia Mason became the first medical center in the Pacific Northwest to earn designation as a Donor Care Network Center of Excellence by the National Kidney Registry.
- Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award, Practice Green Health, 2019 — Virginia Mason Medical Center was honored with Practice Greenhealth’s Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award in 2019. Among the achievements that led to earning this award was the team member recycling and composting education efforts that resulted in significant reductions in our contamination rates and gains in our composting rate. Virginia Mason’s strong climate change advocacy work, was another factor and included testimony delivered before the House Committee on Environment and Energy in Olympia.